If you’ve ever scratched your gums with an ice cube or crunchy chip, you know gums are sensitive. That’s why we at Trillium Dental, a trusted provider of dentistry in the Kanata area, take a gentler approach to gum disease treatment.
LANAP stands for Laser Assisted New Attachment Procedure, and it’s revolutionizing the way gum disease is treated. Developed by Millennium Dental Technologies, Inc., LANAP is a comfortable laser alternative to traditional and painful scalpel and suture surgeries.
Here’s a brief overview of a minimally invasive and comfortable LANAP procedure session:
- A Trillium dentist will conduct an assessment to determine the scope of the infection. LANAP is virtually painless and does not require sedation, but we do offer nitrous oxide, oral and IV sedation options for patients with dental anxieties.
- A remarkably tiny fiber, only about the size of three hairs, is gently placed between the teeth and gums to eliminate the infected tissue in the pocket and kills the germs responsible for gum disease. The fiber leaves healthy tissue unharmed. This action improves accessibility to deeper areas of the pocket.
- The fiber is replaced with a small ultrasonic root cleaner. The ultrasonic root cleaner is used in the pocket to vibrate off tough calcium deposits off the surface of the tooth. An anti-bacterial rinse is then used to wash them away.
- Once the tooth is clean, the fiber is used again to disinfect the floor of the pocket and remove any remaining diseased tissue. The root and bone are also sterilized.
- The fiber causes the blood surrounding the pocket to become sticky and form clots, which seals the once receded gum back to the tooth and prevents dangerous bacteria from re-entering the gum line.
The Canadian Dental Association states seven out of 10 Canadians will develop gum disease in their lifetime. Unfortunately, many Canadians don’t seek professional treatment because they’re fearful of traditional cut and sew procedures. If left untreated, gum disease can prompt tooth loss and jaw bone deterioration. General health conditions like stroke, dementia and heart disease have been linked to diseased gums, as well.
If your gums are especially sensitive, inflamed, bleeding or beginning to recede from the tooth, we urge you to give us a call. In only two, 2 hour sessions and two follow-up visits, your gums can be healed- comfortably. Visit us to learn if LANAP is the best treatment for you.