A straighter smile can make you appear more successful, attractive, and healthy to others. But image-conscious adults who have dreamed of straightening their teeth may feel uneasy about committing to years of wearing traditional bracket-and-wire braces.
Trillium Dental doesn’t want any patient to have to choose between their optimal oral health and a misaligned smile. That’s why we offer Invisalign clear braces at each of our offices. Instead of using wire and brackets, Invisalign uses a series of clear, custom-made acrylic aligners to gently move teeth into their ideal position over a period of 12 to 18 months.
Move teeth into their ideal position over a period of 12 to 18 months. What’s more, Invisalign can easily be removed for eating, brushing, and flossing.
The methods used in treating crooked teeth can vary with the type of apparatus utilized. In the instances where the Invisalign system is applied, there are five basic transitions that begin with the initial consultation and end with having a great smile. Regardless if you or someone else are entering into this process it may help to understand what to expect.
The following is an overview of the complete process,
- Every dental procedure begins with a consultation to determine that a specific treatment will fit the patient. This process is no different.
- Once a determination has been reached about a patient’s eligibility, the dental specialist will design a plan specific to the patient’s needs.
- This is when the patient begins to wear the first in a series of aligner trays, custom made to fit their program.
- Each aligner tray is worn for a period of two weeks. The length of the treatment will vary from individual to individual, as each will have different needs. This translates into some treatments may last as long as fifteen months.
- At the end of the treatment cycle, the fifteen months, or so, it is time to remove the last aligner tray and reveal the results as a new smile with straighter teeth.
There are different situations where dental treatment can alleviate pain and discomfort caused by crooked teeth, underbites, overbites, or malocclusion. In place of a standard set of braces an invisible set, or rather the invisalign® system has proved beyond a doubt as a viable method for treating many common dental issues. As an alternative, invisible braces are an affordable method for fixing any of the following conditions,
- Open bite
- Gapped teeth
- Crowded teeth
Invisalign® has not been around very long, however, since this method of straightening teeth has hit the market it has quickly become the number one alternative to metal or ceramic braces. Moreover, no other method of straightening teeth cam boast the comfort, and convenience that is part of using the invisalign® methodology. Because of the simplicity of the method, more adults have turned to this in order to finally, get the smile they deserve.
Here then is a comparison between Braces and Invisalign®
- Clear aligner trays that are virtually invisible
- Convenience by making them removable during meals
- No special cleaning methods
- The ability to eat anything
- Braces are a series of metal clamps, wires, and bands
- Making adjustments can be uncomfortable and painful
- Special brushing and flossing techniques
- Restrictions on the kinds of food
- Overall more effort into the treatment comparably
How Invisalign Works
This is the alternative to metal braces and the way Invisalign® works is through a series of custom made and fitted devices called ‘aligner trays.’ They are made of clear plastic and are, for all intent and purposes, invisible. The aligner trays fit over the teeth, and for a certain period are worn before they are replaced by another tray.
The process is designed to reposition the patient’s teeth through changing out one aligner tray for another. This process smoothly moves the teeth into the desired position, (straightening the teeth), through a planned series of movements coordinated by the dentist or orthodontist. Each tray is worn for a two week period and is removable to facilitate eating and cleaning the teeth properly before repositioning the aligner tray back into position.
While this process is still fairly new to dentistry, invisalign® has proven to work as seen by the high success rate for the patient’s that have utilized this method for straightening their teeth. There are no bands to mess with or adjustments, other than swapping out one tray for the next in the series, and they are undetectable by others with a great smile as the result.